8/5/08

Pleasure Island...a sad day for me

After nearly 20 years in operation, Disney's Pleasure Island is undergoing a major overhaul, including the closure of the Adventurer's Club, Comedy Warehouse, 8 Traxx, Motion, Mannequins and BET Sound Stage . . . The Rock 'n' Roll Beach Club closed as of February 3, 2008.

Pleasure Island is a section of the Walt Disney World Resort within the Downtown Disney shopping, dining and entertainment district. Pleasure Island officially opened May 1, 1989, and will officially close on September 27, 2008.

From 1990 through New Year's Eve 2005, Pleasure Island celebrated New Year's Eve with a fireworks show every night at midnight.

On June 27, 2008, the Walt Disney World Resort announced that over the next two years, Disney will replace all of Pleasure Island's nightclubs with new stores and restaurants.

Disney denied rumors that the changes are due to a drop in attendance at Pleasure Island, stating instead that the company is responding to guest feedback asking for more family friendly experiences.

Wow, I am so sad to read this. I was hoping to visit Pleasure Island in October this year. I spent my 21st birthday vacation at this place. I thought it was "the happiest place on earth" for sure.

My husband and I spent our honeymoon at Disney and enjoyed P.I. as well. So many memories of the night clubs and the fireworks. Oh well, the end of an era.



1 comment:

  1. wow.. that's so sad! i have only been there once, but 8 Traxx was my favorite!!!

    (thanks for my blog comment.. stop by whenever you like!)

    ReplyDelete